Wednesday 9 January 2013

My grocery day worries are over!

Have you looked out your window today?

It's January already but it doesn't feel like it yet! Happily sunny blue skies, and no sign of clouds in sight. Since happy weather makes me happy, I decided to go out and get some groceries before the light disappears. Also, have I mentioned how I get sore backs and aching arms every time I come home from the stores?

If you can spot my dirty windows, you can tell how much I love writing on foggy glass
Grocery tip: Get your 2 pints of milk and half a dozen of eggs from Iceland, they're only £1 each

Lo and behold! That's my new trolley bag, which I spotted while doing some online shopping for clothes. The deal was, buy something - anything at all from the site - and get a luggage bag for free! So I got myself a decent top for £8, and there was a delivery charge of £4 ++, and voila! Technically, I paid a fiver for this handy thing. It wouldn't serve very well as a luggage bag, since the wheels are tiny and they make the most atrocious sound against the road - but quite decent enough for my weekly shopping (besides getting all the attention from passers-by). 

Before I left my room, I was telling my mom over Skype about how much I miss her and her cooking. So she suggested that I try making some of the dishes by myself here. It's not the same when you follow good recipes from the internet, they may still turn out delicious and all that, but - Nothing. Beats. Home. Meals. It's like your sensory buds are already accustomed to certain types of flavour; those that are most comforting in thought and taste. 

When I got back, I turned my Skype on again and she gave me all the instructions, while she watched and made sure that I don't make a mess.

Yep, even the garlic skin!
Snacking on bread and marmalade while waiting for my porky meal
After a good 45 minutes!
Tadaa!

The lean meat parts are at the other end of the plate but the fatty bits are always the best! Smooth and creamy in texture, mmm! I had mine with brown rice, since the idea came to me while reading Daryl's comment about his switch to this apparently better option on facebook the other day. The balance - see what I just did there? 

x

p.s. I'm keeping up with my new year resolution #1. Healthy work snacks! x


No comments:

Post a Comment