Wednesday 13 February 2013

Workshop with Rosie Hardy

I've got a good reason to be late for this week's Project 52 piece.

I took a train to Manchester in the morning and left my place as early as 4.30 a.m., waited in the cold at an unsheltered bus stop for a good 20 minutes before the bus arrived, had a very overwhelming and crazy day, then got back to my room before 2 a.m. today. My mind's a dizzy mess, my body is literally shaking from the tiredness, but I've never been more happy to go through all of that in a day.

Without thinking beforehand about how silly I would make myself look, I introduced myself to a room full of photographers very happily as Rosie Hardy's fan on Flickr (very unprofessional, yes). Most of everyone else had some experience in commissioned work, so I was very very amateur compared to the rest. I was, quite nervous, but I had wanted to attend one of Rosie's workshops since she organised her first - I can't believe I finally did!!!

Jenna and Ewan were our first couple of the day, and we took their engagement photos at places near Rosie's flat. It was really cold and I don't think the thin blanket was warm enough, but they were both so amazing and happy throughout the session! I wish we had more time taking photos of them, but time passed by really quickly and we had to head back to prepare for the wedding photography session.

Gabby and Aaron arrived at Rosie's at about 1 p.m., got dressed in a beautiful white gown that Rosie bought from the House of Fraser, and Aaron in his suit. Have I mentioned how stunning they both looked? Rosie thinks that Aaron looks like Ryan Gosling, and I must agree that he has the fittest body of a groom!

Going around Manchester city in the cold was not as easy as it sounds, my fingers were so numb and I didn't like using my gloves because it was difficult to work with the buttons on my camera. We took the tram to Piccadilly Gardens, hijacked a trash bin from the council, had people high-fiving the groom, and many people took their handphones out to take photos - thinking that the couple were celebrities! We took a break and had dinner at Pizza Express, then went out again for some low-light shots. Can you imagine a pack of photographers following a wedding couple like paparazzis in the city? It was crazy fun and highly entertaining!

The workshop ended before 7 p.m., and my train to catch was a few hours later and also delayed! It was more tiring to wait for it than marching around Manchester for the day. I just realised that it takes a lot of stamina for a day's shoot. There was a point when I was too overwhelmed and had to take a few minutes to rest. I really wish I could go for more workshops like this! I am also currently saving up for a new kit, so I've got to be spending really wisely. x


No comments:

Post a Comment