Friday 1 March 2013

いただきます!


Konnichiwa! These few weeks have been rather Japanese-themed for me. From the start of learning the language as one of my modules at uni this term, to having a slight obsession over anime films, here comes sushi-making lessons.

I now know why cleanliness is one of the main priorities in a Japanese kitchen - making sushi dishes requires one to handle the rice like Play-Doh. It also requires a lot of patience, as I was resisting the urge to put the food into my mouth before I am even done making my second piece.

Don't be fooled by these pictures, I didn't prepare the ingredients myself. Our sensei Hiroko-san brought fresh salmon, prawns and even made some yummy tamago (Japanese omelette) to the class. Apparently, people in Tokyo and Osaka cook their omelettes differently. Since Hiroko sensei is from Osaka, she makes savoury tomago. I thought those were delicious, but I love the sweet ones as well (although our teacher mentioned that she was almost disgusted when she tried sweet tomago in Tokyo).

I can't wait to go home for summer, then indulge in some good Japanese meals! Also, Japan is definitely on my must-travel-before-time-ends list!

No comments:

Post a Comment