Monday 11 March 2013

7 tips for event photography

Heehee randomly because there are seven days in a week.

Over the weekend, Nottingham Malaysian Society organised its first MFest at the Old Market Square in the city centre. As a fellow Malaysian, I volunteered to take photographs during the event - you can view both Part 1 and Part 2 on my Facebook albums! :)

Since a few people messaged me after the event, I thought I'd share some of my experiences here. The question I frequently get asked about is regarding the equipment I use. I am currently using a Canon 40D and I shoot mainly with a 50mm f1.8 lens. Saving up for a full-frame camera and an external flash next (ahem so guys, now you know what's on my wish list, hint hint hint) :D


1. Get a good position.

It is quite important, but not an easy task. In my experience, the organisers did not provide any tags for the photographers, so I was not courageous enough to squeeze my way through the crowd. Also, it can be quite challenging to get from one place to another in time during events that have back-to-back performances like this. Thirdly, you would not want to block the audience view so be careful about where you choose to stand/squat.


2. Test and prepare your camera settings beforehand.

It can either be sunny, or it might be a gloomy day (most of the time it's this in the UK). In general, I prefer to shoot on no-sun days, but some sunlight can be fun. During the flashmob, I shot at a high shutter speed because there was a lot of movement going on. This is not always the case as low settings can produce very creative shots as well.



3. Angles, story, angles.

I'm still working on this, I don't always get this right. In my opinion, shooting at good angles is probably one of the most important things to bear in mind. Is there something you'd like to narrate through your photo?


4. Performers!

Everyone likes a good photo of themselves in costumes and props, so that they'll have a piece of memory of why it is worth it to spend hours practicing hard for the event. Don't be shy to ask them to pose for a shot - you'll never know that they might actually be too shy to ask you for one!


5. Mind your background

If I stood on the right I'd be having a big PA van as my background and if I did in front, I'd be taking photos of metal barriers instead of dancers. This is quite related to angles, and it also depends on stage setups. Hmm, I'd say that this is all about luck - nothing much you can do about it unless you discuss with the organisers before the event. 


6. Candids

Well, purely because they're fun and sweet. You'll never know what you can find and it adds a lot to the atmosphere. 


7. People

Oh gosh and this was my mistake! I was so caught up with taking photos of performances and the event in general that I forgot to shoot posed group photos! I must admit that it might get boring to take the same type of group photos after a couple of shots - but this is extremely vital and important during an event!!!

So these are some of the things I'd like to share based on my personal experience. Another thing to add - wear thick warm warm warm warm clothing. Events such as this one can last throughout the day, and the weather can change drastically when you're in the UK. Last Saturday was cold and wet and my body felt utterly disgusted with that. During the eighth hour outdoors, my legs were shivering, hands were numb, and there was a whole lot of discomfort going on. Had to warm myself indoors at a nearby patisserie with hot coffee and a nice tart ;) (and missed one performance but other photographers had it covered).

Hope this post had been helpful and I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment